Religion Week offers educational events

Campus religious and cultural organizations, in conjunction with GW’s Program Board, have planned several events for Religion Week 1998 – “One Religion, Many Faces” – that began Saturday.

The Muslim Students’ Association will show the movie The Message at 6 p.m. in Lisner Auditorium. The film accurately depicts the rise of Islam as a major world religion, said MSA President Ali Husain.

“It’s a highly accurate picture of how Islam started,” Husain said. “It’s a very educational and informative movie.”

The Baptist Student Union will sponsor a Bible study Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the Board of Chaplains Office. BPU President Elizabeth Elliott said the weekly Bible study offers a chance for students to discuss religion and meet other Christian students.

“It’s helped me to get exposed to other people and experiences,” she said. “It was definitely helpful in the transition between college and high school.”

The South Asian Society will sponsor a panel discussion Monday at 9 p.m. in Marvin Center 405 with Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Zoroaster students. A presentation on each religion will be followed by audience questions.

The Newman Center will present a discussion Monday at 8 p.m., with religious artist Mickey McGrath, who will speak about Catholic themes in contemporary art. The reception begins at 5:30 p.m. with dinner at the Newman Center.

The Newman Center also will host an “Explanation Mass” Wednesday at 8 p.m. The purpose of this activity will be to fully explain the symbolism and rituals of Mass.

“(Father Jim Greenfield) will explain in detail why things are said and the symbolism of the hymns and songs that are sung (in church),” said Bob Groegler, Newman Center event organizer.

Hillel will sponsor a teleconference about Jewish characters in popular television shows. Students will be able to question panelists, including “Seinfeld” writer and producer Carol Leifer. The teleconference takes place at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Rome Hall room 350.

Students can learn about the different religious festivals celebrated in South Asia when the International Student Society sponsors a discussion of religions in South Asia Thursday. Food and beverages such as chai and samosas – tea and appetizers – will be served.

GW Intervarsity Christian Fellowship will sponsor “Feeding the 5,000,” a community service project Friday at 10 a.m. in Marvin Center room 405.

The Sikh Student Association will sponsor a free dinner Friday at 7 p.m. in the Marvin Center ballroom, in honor of the first Sikh prophet Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The dinner, lingar, is free, adhering to the tradition of offering free dinners in India.

“I hope students take away an understanding of Sikhism, which will fight ignorance (about the religion),” said SSA Chair Kiranpreet Chawla.

A tour of the National Shrine will be offered by the Newman Center Saturday. The group will meet at the Foggy Bottom Metro station at 1 p.m.

Religion Week will end with the third annual Thanksgiving dinner and reception in the Marvin Center ballroom Sunday. Students are invited to share an international meal. Religious representatives will offer prayers. Tickets are free and can be obtained in Marvin Center room 429.

-Kathryn Maese contributed to this report.