News briefs

Ford Foundation honors GW postdoctoral fellow

GW postdoctoral fellow Jennifer D. Brody was among the 111 minority scholars recently awarded fellowships through a Ford Foundation program.

The fellowship programs are administered by the National Research Council and seek to increase the presence of underrepresented minority groups in college faculties, according to an NRC release.

Brody received a fellowship in interdisciplinary literature and was one of 28 Ph.D. recipients to be honored. The programs also awarded 50 beginning graduate students and 33 students currently writing their dissertations.

The winners were selected by 170 scholars in the sciences and humanities from about 1,000 applicants, based on merit and promise of future achievement.

Faculty members from the nation’s colleges and universities, and representatives of industry and private research institutions evaluated the candidates.

-Becky Neilson

Report explores higher education administration and law

A research report exploring the relationship between higher education administration and the law was released recently by the Education Resources Information Center Clearinghouse on Higher Education at GW.

The report, entitled “The Academic Administrator and the Law: What Every Dean and Department Chair Needs to Know,” gives academic administrators the background necessary to recognize emerging campus legal issues and identify the resources available to resolve legal problems. Familiarity with legal terminology, procedures and doctrines can enable academic administrators to anticipate and possibly avoid legal action, according to the report.

The report is Vol. 26, No. 5 of the Higher Education Reports Series from the Association for the Study of Higher Education-ERIC Clearinghouse on Higher Education.

Reports can be purchased for $24 from ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Reports, The George Washington University, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 630, Washington, D.C., 20036-1183.

-Stacey Felsen

GWorld adds Mailboxes Etc. to debit card

The GWorld card added two off-campus partners this week, including Mailboxes Etc. The new partner was officially incorporated into the program Monday to allow students with debit accounts to use their cards toward purchases there.

Esteem Cleaners will be another addition to the program. Students should be able to start using debit dollars there next week as long as Esteem Cleaners receives the proper equipment.

“I get calls from restaurants all the time who want to be added on the program,” said Steve Hersey, marketing coordinator for the GWorld Office.

Hersey said he always looks for off-campus establishments he thinks students would enjoy and said he always appreciates student input. For more information, contact the GWorld Office at 994-1795.

-Julie Snider

Pugwash discusses ethics in science and technology

GW’s student chapter of Pugwash celebrated the 90th birthday of founder Josef Rotblat, who started the international organization in 1958.

GW’s Pugwash Coordinator Purvi Gala said the group, founded by Rotblat and other scientists such as Albert Einstein after World War II, promotes ethical issues in science and technology.

Students attended a two-part celebration that began Nov. 1., with the showing of Fat Man, Little Boy, a film about the history of the Manhattan Project and the dropping of two atomic bombs on Japan in 1945.

The celebration continued Sunday with a discussion on the Pugwash pledge. Gala said the pledge asks students to consider ethical issues in their careers.

An international Pugwash conference will take place Thursday through Sunday in Chevy Chase, Md. Students who are interested in attending the lecture or joining the group can contact it at [email protected].

-Kathryn Maese