GW falls to URI, beats UMass

The GW women’s volleyball team missed out on a chance to sweep a pair of crucial road matches this weekend, beating Massachusetts but falling just short against Rhode Island.

With the season winding down, the Colonial women (16-9, 10-6 Atlantic 10) find themselves in the running for the final spot in the four-team A-10 Championships Nov. 27-29 in Pittsburgh.

GW 3, UMass 1

GW avenged a tough home loss to the Minutewomen (12-14, 9-7) a month ago, winning in four games Saturday night at the Curry Hicks Cage.

The 15-11, 15-11, 8-15, 15-12 victory was GW’s 10th conference victory with four crucial conference matches left to play.

GW had some help in the final game of the match as UMass’ match-low .020 hitting percentage allowed the Colonial women to come away victorious. In the third-game loss, UMass’ 18 kills and GW’s eight errors were key factors.

GW had a match-high 21 kills in the first game as the Colonial women started solidly.

Gabriela Mojska led GW with 15 kills and 15 digs.

URI 3, GW 2

GW’s tough five-game loss to the Rams (15-7, 9-6 A-10) Friday night at the Keaney Gym prevented it from gaining any ground on a Rhode Island team fighting for its playoff life.

In the final game, GW fell just short to the Rams, 15-12. URI had eight kills and only one error while GW posted 10 kills and a costly five errors.

GW jumped out to a 15-7 opening-game win as the Rams were out of sync, committing eight errors as part of their -.235 opening-game attack percentage. But URI came back strong in the following two games, winning 15-9, 15-8.

The Colonial women came back and won a tight fourth game 15-12.

Mojska again led GW with 12 kills.