GW falls in final exhibition

The GW women’s basketball team faced a powerful Russia Select squad in an exhibition game and fell 70-57 Sunday night at the Smith Center.

GW led 43-40 at the 16-minute mark, until Russia Select’s Tatiana Rebtsovkaya buried a three-point shot and the Colonial women failed to regain the lead.

Guard Starr Jefferson rebounded and scored off an errant Elisa Aguilar shot at the 10-minute mark to cut the deficit to 51-49, but the Colonial women would get no closer.

“The second half after about the 10-minute mark we hit the wall,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said. “They just ran us out of the gym.”

Russia Select dominated the paint behind 6-8 center Maria Stepanova, who scored 26 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked 4 shots. Stepanova was chosen by the Phoenix Mercury as the eighth selection in the 1998 WNBA draft.

The Colonial women were outrebounded 46-29, as Russia Select’s roster included four players taller than 6-2. Russia Select blocked nine GW shots compared to one block for the Colonial women.

Aguilar tallied 10 first-half points, but Russia Select’s Diana Gustilina held her scoreless in the second half. Petra Dubovcova led GW with 13 points.

GW will start its regular season against Georgetown University at the Smith Center Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.