Goodbye, Gingrich – Staff editorial

Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) announced Friday that because of the Republican Party’s poor showing in Tuesday’s election, he will resign his post in the House leadership and his seat in Congress. His resignation comes during a fierce internal dispute among Republicans who are looking for a scapegoat for the election debacle. Whether people loved Newt or hated him, it is tough to deny he was the most powerful speaker in generations.

Instead of subjecting his party to a divisive fight, Gingrich walked away from the House. His legacy is one of increased authority in the speakership, reduction of committee chairmen’s power and bareknuckled partisanship. Gingrich rose to prominence for his attacks on former Democratic Speaker Jim Wright’s ethical lapses. His backbench bomb-throwing talents galvanized hard-core conservative supporters, but alienated many others who viewed him as too partisan and too extreme.

His own personal mistakes – whether it was a $4.5 million book deal, twice shutting down the federal government or complaining about his treatment aboard Air Force One on a trip to Yitzak Rabin’s funeral – resulted in abysmal approval ratings from the general public and never-ending fodder for late-night comics. A former history teacher, Gingrich failed to learn anything from his past mistakes. That ultimately led to enough discontent in the Republican Party to make his re-election as speaker uncertain.

Gingrich might be leaving Congress, but no one should write his political epitaph just yet. His “Contract With America” was demonized by Democrats, but many of its points were adopted and became law.

Gingrich’s influence and legacy will be felt by the country and its political institutions for many years. It is ironic, however, that the same backbench bomb-throwing that elevated him to the speakership also brought him down.