GW wins pair to end A-10 regular season

The GW women’s soccer team was guaranteed a place in the Atlantic 10 Tournament before this weekend’s final regular season conference matches.

But the Colonial women played like something important was at stake, rolling to a pair of victories over Temple and St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia.

GW (11-9, 9-2 A-10) also lost in overtime to the University of Maryland Wednesday in a non-conference match at College Park, Md.

The Colonial women will be the second seed in the tournament and will face third-seeded Xavier in the second semifinal match Friday at 8 p.m. at tournament-host Dayton. The top-seeded Lady Flyers will face fourth-seeded Massachusetts in the first semifinal match.

GW 5, Temple 1

GW jumped out to a three-goal lead and never looked back in demolishing Temple in Philadelphia Sunday afternoon.

Senior Jane Andersen scored first at the 12:42 mark on an assist by Katy McQuillin. Sophomore Lauren Papalia tallied the next two goals for the Colonial women to give them a 3-0 edge.

Freshman Angelica Caramanica and junior Malynda Nichol scored later in the match for the Colonial women, who outshot Temple 20-5.

GW 2, St. Joe’s 0

The Colonial women shut out St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia Friday behind two goals by freshman Kesha Christoph.

GW got on the board first in the 24th minute when Christoph scored on assists by Jane Andersen and Katy McQuillin.

Christoph put the Hawks (9-8-1, 4-6 A-10) away with a goal in the 77th minute.

Junior Rima Sidhu made four saves in goal to earn the shutout victory. GW outshot the Hawks 14-7 in the game.

Maryland 3, GW 2

GW led Maryland 2-1 at halftime but could not hold onto its lead and fell in overtime in College Park, Md.

Maryland scored with less than two minutes to play in regulation to tie the score at two.

That goal forced overtime, and senior forward Keri Sarver scored 13 minutes into the extra session to earn the victory for Maryland. Senior Jane Lea scored at the 10:49 mark on an assist by Kesha Christoph to give GW a 1-0 lead. Maryland (9-8) tied the game in the 26th minute, but senior Jane Andersen scored less than a minute later to put GW ahead, 2-1.