News briefs

SA hosts celebration at Thurston

The sounds of a funk band and the prospect of free food brought students to the Thurston Hall piano lounge Tuesday night for the Student Association’s first “Participation Celebration.”

Along the walls of the piano lounge, the SA Senate displayed blown-up copies of the resolutions it passed this year. SA Executive Vice President Jesse Strauss said the event was organized “to show students what their SA is doing for them.”

Students also had the opportunity to talk with their senators about issues that concern them.

Some members of the SA provided students who attended the event with information about the student fee resolution. The resolution urges GW officials to show the actual amount of money from the University fee allotted to student-run organizations.

Strauss said the event was planned before the student fee resolution was drafted and was not planned for the purpose of drumming up support for the resolution. But he said the event was another forum for discussion about the resolution.

-Theresa Crapanzano

SMPA to host media speakers

The School of Media and Public Affairs will host lectures to give students a chance to interact with professional writers.

SMPA will bring Jay Harris, publisher of Mother Jones magazine, to Funger Hall room 103 Nov. 5 at 7:30 p.m.

Harris recently received criticism from media pundits because he endorsed a deal with Green Mountain Energy Resources, an electric company that put an advertisement on the magazine’s cover.

The Washington Post reported that an advertisement in the recent issue of the magazine read, “When it comes to choosing electricity, listen to your mother.”

According to The Post, Mother Jones editors are “appalled, insisting they were kept in the dark, which raises the question, `Is a liberal magazine selling out to a corporate sponsor, albeit an environmentally correct one?’ “

SMPA’s electronic media program also is sponsoring a satellite seminar on “Creating Jewish Characters for Television,” in coordination with GW Hillel Nov. 11 from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Rome Hall room 350.

The seminar will feature creators and writers from various popular television shows, including “Seinfeld,” “Thirtysomething” and “Chicago Hope.”

The event is part of Jewish Awareness Month.

-Matt Berger and Francesca Di Meglio