Trachtenberg to stay at helm until 2003

GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg announced Friday he will stay at the University’s helm until at least 2003 as part of the expansion of the University’s Centuries Campaign.

The Board of Trustees and Trachtenberg agreed he will continue his presidency to help GW raise an additional $220 million for the Centuries Campaign, which was started in 1996 as part of GW’s 175th anniversary celebration.

He knows the alumni and they know him, said Michael Worth, vice president of development and alumni affairs. There is a relationship of trust and influence that makes him effective in raising money.

Trachtenberg said he still is enjoying his experience as president and sees no reason to leave the University.

I’m having a good time, Trachtenberg said. I’m still useful and pulling my fair share.

The president’s commitment to the University would have expired in 2000, with the original end of the Centuries Campaign, according to a University press release.

Trachtenberg came on board 10 years ago after a stint as president of the University of Hartford. He has been credited with moving GW from a commuter school to a top-quality university, lifting the University into U.S. News & World Report‘s Top 50 ranking of colleges and universities.

He also has been credited with improving facilities at GW, including the building of New Hall and the planned construction of a health and wellness center and School of Media and Public Affairs building. He also has worked to improve the aesthetic beauty of the school.

In an April interview with The GW Hatchet, Trachtenberg said he felt he could accomplish more at GW.

I think at some point you feel you’ve had enough, but not yet, Trachtenberg said.

Trachtenberg said when he does leave, he most likely will teach public administration.

There will come a time when it is time to move on and I hope I am smart enough to realize it, he said.