GW splits pair, stays near top of the A-10

Despite a loss to conference-leading Dayton, the GW women1s soccer team solidified its chances of making the Atlantic 101s postseason.

The loss to Dayton dropped the Colonial women from first to third place in the conference, but they came back to beat second-place Xavier Sunday to take over the second spot in the A-10 with just two conference games remaining.

Dayton followed up its victory over GW (9-8, 7-2 A-10) with a shutout of Virginia Tech to keep its hold on the top spot in the A-10. The top four teams in the conference qualify in the A-10 Tournament.

GW is back in action Wednesday when it visits the University of Maryland for a non-conference match-up before the final weekend of A-10 play.

GW 1, Xavier 0

Junior Katy McQuillin1s goal lifted GW to a 1-0 win over Xavier in Ohio Sunday.

Senior forward Jane Andersen crossed the ball to McQuillin in the 85th minute for the goal.

Junior Rima Sidhu defended the net for the Colonial women, notching five saves to earn the shutout victory. Ann Marie Hubbard and Karen Kase split time defending the goal for Xavier (8-6-2, 6-2-1 A-10), combining for six saves. GW had 11 shots on goal, while Xavier had 13.

Dayton 2, GW 1

The Colonial women lost to Dayton in Ohio by a score of 2-1 Friday.

Freshman Courtney Wright scored at the 25:01 mark on a free kick to get GW on the scoreboard.

GW1s lead held up through the first half, but Dayton1s Sarah Walker scored on a pass from Megan McKnight at the 45:27 mark to tie the game, 1-1.

Renee Harmeyer netted the game winner in the 75th minute, taking a pass from Beth Bushman and scoring to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead they would not lose.

Rima Sidhu defended GW1s goal and made six saves. Amy Kemmer notched five saves defending Dayton’s net to earn the win. Dayton (12-4, 8-1 A-10) outshot the Colonial women, 15-8.