Furslide’s creative lyrics set to old, forgettable sound

The voice, the strings, the beat – all lure the listener into the embrace of Furslide. The ensemble’s debut album, Adventure, is the first release off Nellee Hooper’s new label, Meanwhile…, in association with Virgin.

The cleverly crafted lyrics seductively flow from Jennifer Turner, lead guitarist and vocalist. Bassist Jason Lader and drummer Adam MacDougall produce an impressive sound that adds to the passion expounded by Turner.

The New York-based trio possesses the downtown vibe that has become synonymous with the caustic blues sound popularized in the last decade. Despite the imaginative essence of Furslide, the band’s sound is not its own. The themes undoubtedly have been heard before and are easily forgettable.

On the other hand, the conglomeration of the band members’ talents works well. Turner mystifies listeners on lead vocals and guitar. Lader and MacDougall have a chemistry – they have performed together since they attended Manhattan’s High School Of Music and Art. The two played together in bands such as Marmalade, which is the foundation for Furslide. Furthermore, the lyrics are progressive, and the accompaniment delivers. Despite these highlights, the arrangement is so affected, listeners feel like they have heard it all before.

The most fascinating aspect of the band is its name. The trio created the name Furslide. Lader has said that to glean the true meaning, one should picture a scientist sliding a piece of fur along a rubber rod to produce electrons.

Although the band does not bring a fresh sound to the music industry, Furslide emits an electricity. It is for this reason that the innovative Lenny Kravitz chose Furslide as the opening act on his tour.

Furslide performs Monday at the 9:30 Club.