Club sports roundup

Ice Hockey

The GW ice hockey club opened its season Oct. 15 with a 9-1 victory over American University at Fort Dupont Ice Rink. Senior Bryce Wendel scored the first GW goal of the season on a pass from junior Tej Datta 5:15 into the first period. GW was outshot by American, but GW goalie Mike Aigen made 25 saves to hold American University to only one goal.

GW beat the University of Maryland 4-2 Oct. 17 in Laurel, Md. Matt Schliftman had a hat trick for GW.

The team beat Salisbury State University 6-3 Saturday at Fort Dupont. Wendel scored a goal and notched four assists for GW.

GW plays Salisbury State at 9:45 p.m. Nov. 3 in Easton, Md., Catholic University at 9 p.m. Nov. 6 at Fort Dupont and Loyola College at 6:15 p.m. Nov. 7 in Bel Air, Md.

Men1s Lacrosse

The GW men1s lacrosse team kicked off its season by defeating Old Dominion University 15-1 at the Mount Vernon campus Oct. 16.

Dondi Chiongbian scored five goals and had three assists. Paul Denham and Seth Brumby combined to allow only one goal.

Men1s Rugby

The GW men1s rugby club lost its final match of the fall regular season to the U.S. Naval Academy 35-14.

GW mounted a comeback after it fell behind by 20 points at the half. Tries by sophomore Ben Rudolph, who scored while blocking a kick, and a 70-meter scamper by Brandon Wolfe narrowed the margin, but GW never got any closer.

GW will compete in its division tournament at St. Mary1s College Oct. 31.

Softball

The GW softball club lost two games at the U.S. Naval Academy Oct. 18 by scores of 10-2 and 14-5.

Offensive standouts for GW were Rachel Meinecke (2-for-5, home run, two runs scored), Jess Fielding (2-for-5, single, double, stolen base) Jess Pinkham (2-for-5, single, stolen base) and Emily Ellis (1-for-3, two stolen bases, run scored). Freshman Emily Rabbit made a strong debut on the mound for the Colonial women, pitching the entire first game and four innings of the second.

The softball club will put the bats away for the winter, but it will start play again in March.

Squash

Practices have begun for the GW men1s squash club. Practices are scheduled for Tuesday at 7 p.m., Thursday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 5 p.m. at the Smith Center, and Friday at 2 p.m. at the Fitness Company. Matches are scheduled at the U.S. Naval Academy Nov. 7 against Columbia University and Vassar College, and Nov. 8 against Hobart College. Those interested in playing for the team should contact Coach Charles Elliott at 994-6978 or e-mail the club at [email protected].

Ultimate Frisbee

The GW ultimate frisbee club went 2-2 at a tournament at the University of Richmond the weekend of Oct. 17.

GW defeated Richmond 11-8, followed by an 11-9 loss to James Madison University. GW lost to the College of William & Mary 11-9, but beat Richmond again 11-6 to close the tournament.