CDs campaign for Schumer in New York

Twenty GW College Democrats headed to Binghamton, N.Y., Friday to help inject energy into Brooklyn congressman Charles Schumer1s senatorial campaign.

The weekend campaign trip is one in a series of campaign season road trips planned by the CDs to distribute pamphlets and go door to door to boost Schumer1s bid against incumbent Sen. Alfonse D1Amato (R-N.Y.).

3We sit down with the (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) and try to come up with the hottest and most important races,? said sophomore Andrew Agetstein, CD events director.

3The governing body, National College Democrats of America, maintains a mission of organizing more regional issues between College Democrats and the campaign,? said Daniel Zipp, CD political affairs director.

The CDs said they plan to continue weekly road trips until election day Nov. 3. The CDs also have traveled to Philadelphia in the past few weeks to campaign in the 13th Congressional District race, which has pit Rep. Jon Fox (R-Pa.) against Democrat Joe Hoeffel.

The CDs also have targeted the Maryland gubernatorial race, the D.C. mayoral race and a congressional race in North Carolina.

CDs said the recent scandal surrounding President Clinton has hurt some Democratic campaigns and created voter indifference, but members said they promoted voting in local and state level campaigns during the trip.

3It1s kind of interesting – we1ve got a lot of people who are upset at the president,? said Mark Shaller, CD president. 3Within the party they1re upset. But we are still a large group and have more than 300 people, so regardless we have a lot of members.?

3Though there are some things that are holding us back, particularly the Clinton issue, people aren1t pleased with the government and its time we put some worthy men and women in there,? Agetstein said.

-Jason Steinhardt