Women’s swimming and diving tops Navy in first meet of season

The GW women’s swimming team defeated the U.S. Naval Academy 149.5 to 144.5 in its season-opening meet at Navy Saturday.

The Colonial women swept both the 100-meter and 200-meter backstrokes to the secure the victory.

“It was a tough adjustment to Navy’s short-course meters, but the freshmen had a very strong showing (in the backstroke events),” said GW head coach Dan Rhinehart of Navy’s smaller pool.

Colonial freshman Suzanne Grega placed first in both the 100-meter and 200-meter backstoke, while fellow freshman Alyssa Mastroiani finished second in the 100-meter backstroke and third in the 200-meter backstoke.

GW junior Jennifer Skinner took first in the 400- and 800-meter freestyles, while coming in third in 200-meter freestyle. Skinner won the 400-meter freestyle just 0.29 seconds ahead of a Navy swimmer. In the 800-meter race, Skinner finished about two and a half seconds ahead of the second-place finisher from Navy.

“Jen Skinner was very strong, but she and the rest of the team were swimming tired because it’s early in the season and we’re still training,” Rhinehart said.

Other first-place finishers included junior Rachel Smith in the 100-meter butterfly. Freshman Jocelyn Finch took first in the 200-meter breaststroke and second in the 100-meter breaststroke, while freshman Nell Friar won the 100-meter breaststroke and came in second in the 200-meter breaststroke.

The Colonial women captured first in the 200-meter medley, with Grega, Smith, Friar and Brandyn Roark combining for the victory. GW took second in the 400-meter freestyle relay, finishing half a second behind first place Navy.

“Right now we’re still getting prepared for the Atlantic 10s, and one of our biggest meets will be at home against Virginia Tech on Nov. 7,” Rhinehart said.

The GW men’s swimming and diving team will face Navy at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Smith Center. The next men’s and women’s meet is a tri-meet at home against A-10 foe Duquesne and the College of William & Mary Oct. 31.