Admissions for GW, Mount Vernon merge

Students applying to GW for the 1999 academic year now will fill out the same application for both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, a first for Mount Vernon.

Integration of admissions for the two campuses is nearing completion, with all applications now being handled at the main University admissions office in Rice Hall. A satellite office has been created at Mount Vernon that will address visitors’ questions and arrange tours of the campus for interested students.

When GW entered into a financial affiliation with Mount Vernon College in 1996, the University accepted MVC students and created an opportunity for GW women interested in living on an all-female campus, said Kathryn Napper, director of admissions at GW.

Students eligible to graduate this coming May still can graduate with a Mount Vernon College diploma. Mount Vernon students interested in continuing at GW were required to reapply by completing a special application for admission last spring.

In addition to MVC students and participants of the Woman in Power program, the campus houses female GW students, who either wanted to live at Mount Vernon or were offered residency there because of an overflow of students at the Foggy Bottom campus. Freshmen from the 1998 application pool represent the majority of students affected by this residential option, Mount Vernon Executive Dean Grae Baxter said.

“Last year was an anomaly,” Baxter said. “We didn’t have a finalized plan for the Mount Vernon campus until last December and that was at the end of the recruitment cycle.”

This year, the admissions standards for both campuses are “absolutely equal,” Baxter said. Napper said there will not be “special consideration” for wait-listed students who apply to live at Mount Vernon in 1999.

“Both part one and two of the application will be the same for all students with a Mount Vernon campus option available on it,” she said.

Napper also indicated a need for a specialist in the admissions office to handle the Mount Vernon applications. She said the position should be similar to the admissions representative for specific colleges within the University.