News briefs

Symposium will cap March on Washington exhibit

GW’s Colonnade Gallery exhibit, “Looking Back . Moving Forward: The March on Washington 35 Years Later,” will close with a symposium featuring civil rights activists Oct. 28.

The exhibit, which opened Aug. 28 and is sponsored by Gelman Library, commemorates the 1963 March on Washington and the Walter E. Faunteroy Papers in the library’s special collections archives.

The symposium, which will run from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Marvin Center ballroom, will feature three panels of civil rights leaders, activists, political leaders and GW students. Among the panelists will be Martin Luther King III, Congressman John Lewis (D-Ga.), D.C. Mayor Marion Barry and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).

Opening remarks will be given by GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, University Librarian Jack Siggins and Francine Henderson, exhibit curator and head of Gelman’s special collections.

Topics to be discussed are reflections of the era, the impact of the 1963 March on Washington and its effects on the D.C. government.

-Kathryn Maese

Senior class celebrates Oktoberfest

More than 150 seniors crowded the third-floor terrace of the Marvin Center Thursday to celebrate Oktoberfest and catch up with friends.

Seniors had their first taste of an alumni development campaign 212 days shy of graduation, and the flavors included Budweiser, Heineken, Michelob and Samuel Adams.

“The main goal was to get people thinking about the senior class gift,” said Alex Espinoza, a 1998 graduate and co-coordinator of the event. The event was co-sponsored by the alumni development office and the Student Activities Center.

But students did more reminiscing than donating at Oktobertfest.

Seniors Krista Bragg and Alex Tsatsos recalled an accounting class where they became friends over mudslides while completing homework equations.

“(GW) definitely should have more events like this,” Bragg said.

The Development office will continue its outreach in January with a senior beerfest and again in March when GW hosts a regatta.

When seniors donate to the gift campaign, they will be asked to vote for a senior gift choice: a tree, kiosk, bench or phone booth.

“When you are done, you are done,” Espinoza said. “You want something to show for it.”

-Mica Schneider