Colonials stop 14-game slide with victory over Duquesne

GW defeated Duquesne 1-0 in double overtime for its first Atlantic 10 victory and first win in 14 matches Sunday in Pittsburgh.

The Colonials (2-12-2, 1-3-2 A-10) fell to St. Bonaventure 2-0 in Olean, N.Y., Friday.

The Colonials’ next match is against A-10 foe Dayton at 3 p.m. Friday at South Riding Field. GW then takes on Xavier 2 p.m. Sunday at home.

GW 1, Duquesne 0

GW won a defensive battle against Duquesne, scoring in the second overtime to beat the Dukes 1-0 Sunday.

In the 116th minute, GW senior Ben Hatton made a steal from 40 yards out, dribbled in and blasted the winning goal into the net from 20 yards away.

Colonial goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich recorded seven saves for his first career shutout and win for GW. The Dukes outshot GW 13-11, as Hatton had seven of GW’s shots.

St. Bonaventure 2, GW 0

GW visited a St. Bonaventure team Friday that had won seven consecutive home matches. The Colonials had lost 13 games in a row and lost 2-0 to become the Bonnies’ eighth-straight home win.

St. Bonaventure (7-4-1, 4-2) opened the scoring at the 6:22 mark when senior Justin Evans headed a corner kick from senior Dan Hetrick past Colonial goalkeeper Nick Parypinski for his fourth goal of the season. The Bonnies got an insurance goal from sophomore Nick Cammarata at the 64:22 mark on an unassisted breakaway.

Parypinski tallied 10 saves in the loss. St. Bonaventure outshot the Colonials, 16-5.