Sports briefs

Transportation to soccer home match available

A bus will take GW students to the women’s soccer home match against St. Bonaventure Friday.

The bus will leave from the H Street entrance of the Marvin Center at 3 p.m. for the 4 p.m. match. Interested students should sign up in advance in Marvin Center room 427 or in the Mount Vernon Student Development Center room 117.

GW earns third top-10 selection

The GW women’s basketball team was picked No. 8 in Street & Smith‘s College Basketball top 25, released Oct. 8.

The publication also named senior forward Noelia Gomez a preseason high honorable mention all-American, while junior Elisa Aguilar was named honorable mention all-American.

The Colonial women also have been picked as part of the preseason top 10 of two other publications.

Midnight Madness signals start of GW basketball

The seasons for GW men’s and women’s basketball will tip off Friday at 10:30 p.m. at the Smith Center with Midnight Madness.

Men’s head coach Tom Penders, women’s head coach Joe McKeown and players from both teams will be introduced and featured at midnight, when NCAA Division I basketball teams are allowed to begin practice.

Midnight Madness, which will follow the women’s volleyball match at 7:30 p.m., begins an hour and a half before that. A comedian will emcee the event. The event will feature shooting contests, refreshments and giveaways.

Buses will leave Mount Vernon campus at 10:30 p.m. for the Smith Center and will leave to return to MVC at 1:30 a.m.

The men’s team opens its season Nov. 4 at 7:30 p.m. with a home exhibition game against One World Basketball. The women’s team opens with a home exhibition game Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. against Athletes in Action.

Manole named A-10 player of the week

Sophomore Suzana Manole of the GW women’s volleyball team was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week last week.

Manole recorded two triple-doubles in GW’s three matches. She registered 15 kills, 17 assists and 11 digs to go along with a .519 hitting percentage in a three-game sweep of George Mason University Oct. 6. In a 3-1 victory over La Salle, Manole posted 13 kills, 24 assists and 19 digs. She averaged 3.2 kills, 4.5 assists and 4.1 digs per game in GW’s two wins and one loss.

-Dustin Gouker