Animators discuss satire

SMPA

Television cartoon show creators discussed their work at “Prime Time Animation,” the School of Media and Public Affairs’ second satellite seminar of the year Thursday evening.

Matt Groening of “The Simpsons,” Mike Judge of “King of the Hill” and “Beavis and Butthead,” and Trey Parker and Matt Stone of “South Park” were beamed in live from the Museum of Television and Radio in Los Angeles.

“The basic purpose of the `Prime Time Animation’ seminar is to engage students in a dialogue with the creators of popular prime-time cartoons to learn how their shows make it on the air each day and to discuss how these shows are a satire on contemporary society,” said SMPA External Relations Coordinator Suzanne Clarke.

The panel answered questions from students from 250 colleges around the country. Students learned about the origins of the four popular prime-time cartoons as well as some behind-the-scenes secrets of the often controversial shows.

Groening said he jumped into animation when the Fox network gave him a chance because it was willing to experiment.

Judge said “Beavis and Butthead” was based on someone with whom he went to high school.

Stone, co-creator of “South Park,” said he had an unexpected entrance into Hollywood.

“We did two short (films) called Spirit of Christmas. We didn’t even put our names in the credits because we didn’t think it would go anywhere,” he said.

A caller asked Parker and Stone their reaction to the accusation that “South Park” was a “rip-off” of “Beavis and Butthead.”

“I watched “Beavis and Butthead” and said `we should do this,’ ” Parker said. “We were inspired by “Beavis and Butthead” and “The Simpsons” . but what we do is try to be better.”

” `Beavis and Butthead’ would have never gotten on the air if `The Simpsons’ hadn’t been there,” Judge said.

” `Beavis and Butthead’ really took the heat off of `The Simpsons.’ It was fun to hear Dan Rather say `Butthead,’ ” Groening said, continuing the light banter of the seminar.

GW freshman Ezra Lewis asked the animators what message they thought their shows conveyed about suburban culture.

“(`The Simpsons’) is a combination of my own growing up in suburbia and mutating it to put on television,” Groening said.

“(`South Park’) is just about stupid shit, which is what a lot of people identify with,” Parker said.

The panel addressed criticism the shows receive from conservative audiences.

“It’s like being in school – you make the kids laugh and you piss off the teachers,” Groening said.

“None of us are here to have some huge sweeping theme or disrupt American values,” Parker said.

“If someone isn’t laughing at something like `Beavis and Butthead,’ then there isn’t going to be much there for them,” Judge said.

The creators of “South Park” and “The Simpsons” also hinted at possible movies based on their network cartoons.

“We’re coming out with a `South Park’ (movie) in 1999,” Stone said.

Groening said plans for “The Simpsons” movie are much further in the future.

The satellite seminar received positive responses from students and faculty members.

“That was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen,” Lewis said.

“I was pleased to see students from a variety of majors participate in the satellite seminar,” Clarke said. “I think the event was both entertaining and informative.”

“I saw the satellite seminar as a way to take advantage of technology to add even more opportunities for students to interact with decision-makers and industry leaders,” Clarke said.

The first seminar SMPA hosted featured “The CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.”

“We had a good turnout at this first event so I thought we’d do another when an interesting topic came up.”

SMPA will host another satellite seminar Nov. 11 entitled, “Creating Jewish Characters for TV,” in Marvin Center room 405. A panel of writers and producers will discuss the evolving role of Jewish characters in dramas and sitcoms, Clarke said.