Volleyball team beats GMU

JayCrystal

The Colonial women shut out George Mason University at John Linn Gym in Fairfax Tuesday, returning GW to its winning ways after two losses.

In a non-conference match before an important Atlantic-10 road trip this weekend, GW struggled but still swept the Lady Patriots (1-14) in three games. Coming off two tough home conference losses last weekend, GW (9-6, 3-3 A-10), led by senior Tai Bethune and sophomores Jill Levey and Suzana Manole, put in a solid effort for the victory.

GW head coach Susie Homan said Bethune’s continued determination and tough play were evident against George Mason. Despite the team’s 10 errors in the third game, Bethune, who recorded 11 kills and 11 digs, helped GW edge out a 15-11 victory in the final game.

“Tai worked hard from start to finish,” Homan said.

The Colonial women did not play their best volleyball in the second game, but their 22 kills in the game helped secure a 15-12 victory. Homan said her team was playing down to the level of the competition throughout the match.

“We played down instead of up,” Homan said. “The match took too long.”

Levey and Manole each recorded triple-doubles, in addition to hitting percentages above .500. Levey had 10 kills, 17 digs and 39 assists. Manole contributed with 15 kills, 11 digs and 17 assists. Their strong play led GW to a 15-7 win in the first game. The Lady Patriots committed 10 errors in the first game and GW’s .250 attack percentage was adequate enough for the game victory.

“We should have killed them, but we just didn’t take advantage of the opportunity,” senior captain Angela Vitale said. “But, a win is a win, and we really needed a win.”

The Colonial women travel to defending A-10 champion Temple Friday and visit La Salle Saturday night.

Homan said the team has been practicing well lately, and she expects her team to play hard from the beginning, thinking victory and finding victory. Homan said this weekend is the most important weekend of the season.

“I think we are confident for this weekend, we are just concentrating on practicing how we want to perform,” Vitale said. “We would really like to upset Temple and finally play at the level we know we are capable of.”