Stop wasting time — Staff editorial

The U.S. Congress is in the midst of deciding how to proceed with the President Clinton-Monica Lewinsky scandal. Congress now will decide whether to impeach the president, issue a censure or do nothing. The nation has been waiting months for a resolution to the presidential saga.

It should surprise no one, then, that our own collection of representatives – the ever-diligent Student Association Senate – also is aiming for its share of the spotlight. Several senators apparently are frustrated that SA President Carrie Potter isn’t adequately communicating with them.

So what do they do? Do they:

A) Stop by her office or pick up the phone to tell her about the lack of communication?

B) Send her an e-mail detailing their frustration?

C) Write her a letter?

D) None of the above.

If you answered D, give yourself a pat on the back. (Or if you’re in the Senate, pass a resolution congratulating yourself.)

Instead of discussing the problem, some senators apparently have been sitting around late at night coming up with possible charges of impeachment or censure against Potter. The amount of time spent on this investigation could better have been spent putting together resolutions demanding sunny weather, condemning world hunger and advocating a solution to global warming.

Instead of coming up with more equitable student group funding or brainstorming possible solutions to the problem of underage GW drinking and other pressing issues, some senators who like to get dressed up and play politician, are filling voids in their lives by imitating real members of Congress.

If the SA wants to be taken seriously by anyone with a pulse and brain activity, it should focus its energy on more important matters. Stop worrying about meaningless pseudo-political hissy-fits; work on addressing students’ concerns.