Sports briefs

Vecchione named new assistant athletic director

Tony Vecchione was named GW’s assistant athletic director for facilities, Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz announced Monday.

Vecchione joins GW from the University of Pennsylvania, where he had worked since 1995 and served as director of athletic facilities and operations.

In his new position, he will oversee the Smith Center, the new facilities at the Mount Vernon campus and the health and wellness center that is under development.

Vecchione also served as head coach of the GW men’s soccer team from 1982-’87, compiling a record of 42-33-14 during his tenure.

BB & T Classic student tickets to go on sale

GW student tickets for the BB & T Classic will go on sale Oct. 12 at the TicketMaster outlet on the first floor of the Marvin Center and in the Student Activities Center in room 427 of the Marvin Center, according to the Smith Center box office.

Tickets for the event – formerly known as the Franklin National Bank Classic – will cost students $20 for both sessions or $10 per session. Tickets already are on sale through TicketMaster for the regular price of $60.

The Classic will be held Dec. 6-7 at MCI Center. The GW men’s basketball team will play DePaul University in the first game and then will face either the University of Maryland or Stanford University in the second game.

-Dustin Gouker