Medeski, Martin and Wood jam to a funky jazz beat at Lisner

Medeski, Martin and Wood is not widely known on the pop music scene, but the band has accumulated a close following on college campuses. The trio brings its unique acid jazz groove to GW’s Lisner Auditorium Friday.

The performance follows the release of the group’s latest album, Combustication(Company). In its latest work, Medeski, Martin and Wood combine electronic edge with the improvisational jazz sound that made it well-known. It is Medeski, Martin and Wood “plugged-in” – and it works.

Recorded in a New York City magic shop, Combustication‘s setting makes for a sound unlike previous releases. At some parts, the jazz becomes extremely mellow and abstract, while other tracks mix improvisations with the spoken word. In tracks such as “Whatever Happened to Gus,” Medeski, Martin and Wood layer words and instrumentals to produce an imaginative sound.

Medeski, Martin and Wood formed in the early 1990s, fusing together many different forms of music including funk, rock, blues and jazz. With the sounds of piano, organ, bass and drums, the trio produces its own flavorful style of jazz. Playing many live shows over the years, Medeski, Martin and Wood awes fans with a unique, flavorful sound.

Medeski, Martin and Wood performs at Lisner Auditorium Friday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets cost $20 and can be purchased at any TicketMaster location.