Team GW joins the march to overcome AIDS

Toward the end of the fifth mile, the GW AIDS Walk team began to sing the GW fight song, Broadway showtunes and television theme songs – anything to keep them moving under the steel gray sky.

The 12th Annual AIDS Walk Washington benefited the Whitman-Walker Clinic, a Washington area health services provider that caters primarily to HIV-positive and AIDS patients.

“This year’s team definitely had spirit,” said Michelle Proser, AIDS Walk committee member. “The weather was pretty gloomy, but all these people showed up just the same.”

Proser said she estimates between 500 and 600 GW students walked, but said the final figure will not be verified for several weeks. According to committee records, more than 750 students registered for the walk, Proser said.

Proceeds from the AIDS Walk constitute more than 10 percent of the clinic’s annual budget and the walk is the single largest charity event held in D.C., according to Whitman-Walker literature.

As of Sunday night, AIDS Walk officials reported this year’s walk had raised almost $2 million, a number that will rise as more pledge dollars are received in coming weeks.

Team GW assembled Sunday morning in the Marvin Center Ballroom, where walkers were fed breakfast and given team T-shirts.

“We brought our entire pledge class,” said senior Michael Dillon, president of Sigma Nu. “Our fraternity is trying to do more community service, and the AIDS Walk appealed to us because it is one of the few activities during the year when all the campus groups are working together.”

Until last year, student organizations who participated in the AIDS Walk registered separately and walked with their own members. Proser said the AIDS Walk committee made an effort to change this practice, encouraging groups to join a unified GW team.

Students said this move reflected larger numbers and more spirit.

“Two years ago, I walked with Team GW and it had about 40 members,” Jessica Rosgaard said. “Last year was much better. The difference in team size and morale was huge.”

Jennifer Lerner said she is amazed by the dedication people have shown to the event.

“For the 1997 walk, I volunteered along the route with a girl who was blind,” she said. “I was floored by how passionate she was for the cause. We went all over and nothing could stop her.”

Despite an almost universal enthusiasm for the cause, Lerner said fundraising among her fellow students was a challenge.

“You just can’t ask college kids for money,” she said.

Sam Shon had less of a problem. By soliciting “everyone he knew,” Shon raised $175, making him GW’s most successful fundraiser. The AIDS Walk committee rewarded him with a gift certificate from a local restaurant.

An estimated 25,000 people converged on the National Mall in the early afternoon for the AIDS Walk, according to Whitman-Walker literature. Opening ceremonies featured speeches by D.C. Mayor Marion Barry and Tipper Gore, wife of Vice President Al Gore. The walkers then began a 6.5 mile trek through the city.

Members of the Black Peoples’ Union, which brought 40 members to the walk, said they walked to show their commitment to finding a cure.

“AIDS is the leading killer of black women our age,” said Tiffany Townsend, a BPU member. “We don’t want to lose any more of our sisters and brothers to this disease.”

Erica Lavellee, philanthropy chair of Phi Sigma Sigma, said participating in the AIDS Walk was a sign of action.

“It’s important to show the community that we’re not just sitting back and letting this happen,” she said. “We’re committing to fighting this to the end.”

Some students on the GW team have lost family and friends to AIDS, while even more knew someone currently battling the disease.

“I just found out my cousin has AIDS,” said Dan Catchpole, who walked with his Kappa Sigma brothers. “It was a really big surprise and now it’s something that ties me to the walk that much more.”

As he waited for the walk to begin, Mark Santanello reflected on what the walk meant to him.

“I have some friends at home who have AIDS, and it’s hard not being with them now,” he said. “But today it’s like I’m walking for them.”