Spirit Week to kick off basketball season

The first annual Spirit Week celebration will begin Oct. 11 with a series of events the SA said it hopes will promote school spirit and kick off the basketball season.

Spirit Week officially opens with the men’s water polo match at the Smith Center Oct. 11, followed by a men’s soccer match against Rhode Island, said Jill Kiah, coordinator of Spirit Week.

The next day, the Interfraternity Council will host Monday Night Football at J Street. The IFC will host a tailgate party in the Rose Garden Oct. 13.

The tailgate party will take place rain or shine with activities such as face painting and prize giveaways, Kiah said.

A bonfire and pep rally is scheduled for 9 p.m. Oct. 14 at the Mount Vernon campus. Bus transportation for GW students will be available.

A two-on-two basketball tournament called “Rage in the Cage” will take place Oct. 15 on the basketball courts on 21st Street.

The week’s events lead up to Midnight Madness Oct. 16, which officially begins at 10:30 p.m. Many universities celebrate the first day basketball teams can practice under NCAA rules by holding a night of festivities and school spirit to kick off the basketball season.

“In the past we’ve had activities earlier in the evening, but this is the first time ever we’re doing it like this,” Kiah said.

In addition to watching the basketball teams practice, students will have the opportunity to win prizes and receive free gifts.

“I think it’s good for people who don’t necessarily follow basketball,” said freshman Yona Wischkin. “It’s good to get them involved in cheering for the team.”

The SA also plans to give away a trip for two to the Caribbean during Midnight Madness.

“During the week there will be spotters throughout the campus and if you’re wearing school clothing, or something that says GW, then you will be given a ticket for the drawing,” Kiah said.

Kiah also said a tentatively planned “sixth man contest” is in the works, in which the winner will get to sit on the bench with the GW men’s basketball team during the season.

“If they give out free stuff to encourage students to go, then most likely they’ll attend,” freshman Pauline Nash said.

“If there’s free food I’m going to be there,” Wischkin said.

In addition to the Caribbean trip, the SA also plans to give out prizes such as free Spirit Week T-shirts, gift certificates and Midnight Madness T-shirts.

Comedian Chris Paul will entertain alumni and students during Midnight Madness, Kiah said.

Spirit Week events are free with GWorld ID.