SA resolution targets accountability, fairness

The Student Association recently proposed the creation of a separate fund for money the SA and Program Board receive from the University fee in an effort to increase accountability within the administration, SA Executive Vice President Jesse Strauss said.

But the SA’s request has triggered questions about the SA’s own credibility, student leaders said.

Strauss said the resolution, which is under the review of the SA Senate Rules Committee, would provide “a more honest student fee” because students would see exactly where their money goes.

The resolution calls either for the creation of a “Student Association/Program Board fee” or a “student activities fee” that would pull together the SA, PB, Marvin Center Governing Board and the Student Activities Center.

Sponsors of the resolution said students should understand what portion of their fee the University gives back to them.

“(The proposal) brings more accuracy and honesty into the process,” said Undergraduate Sen. Jared Hosid (CSAS), a co-sponsor of the resolution.

Students pay $34.50 per credit hour in University fees. Thirty-two percent is allocated to Marvin Center operations, 10 percent funds educational technology and 44 percent goes to general University budgetary initiatives. SA and PB combined receive four percent of the fee.

Hosid said students generally believe the portion allocated to the SA and PB is higher than it actually is.

“There is a misconception that the entire (University) fee goes to students,” Hosid said. “It’s a budgetary trick the administration plays. There should be truth in advertising. That is why I like the bill.”

But student groups leaders said the University is not the only institution whose credibility is in question.

“The University does need to be held more accountable as to where the money goes but whether that warrants a creation of another fund is not for sure,” said Eddie Lara, executive chair of Latinos for Progress. “As far as students are concerned, a new name does not necessarily mean more accountability.”

Lara’s concerns stem from problems LFP had receiving funds from the SA Finance Committee this year. The group received $200 – $450 less than last year – and fought to receive additional money.

Lara said the SA must improve the current system before it takes on other responsibilities.

Hosid said he understands students must uphold the same standards for the SA as they do for the administration.

He said he has seen money used in the SA that should be given to student groups. Hosid cited the free SA T-shirts given to senators at the last meeting, $560 allocated to buy coffee at Senate meetings and the annual SA transition dinner – which costs about $4,000 – as unnecessary uses of student money.

“I like T-shirts, it makes me feel special,” Hosid said. “But I thought to myself `do we really deserve this?’ Every dollar we spend is one dollar taken away from the student groups.”

He said the SA needs to make some internal improvements. But he said SA members still should question the University.

“How the SA runs itself should have no effect on questioning the administration and asking for change,” Hosid said. “We should be able to do both.”

Correction

The article “SA resolution targets accountability, fairness” on p. 14 of the Oct. 5 issue of The GW Hatchet should have said a resolution to urge a change in the way the University fee is allocated is under the review of the Student Association Senate’s Finance and Student Life Committees.