News briefs

UPD plans a spree of crime prevention activities

As part of National Crime Prevention Month, the University Police Department has planned a series of events to educate students and promote crime prevention awareness on campus.

Theft Prevention Week runs from Monday through Friday. UPD officers will register bikes and engrave student property such as computers and stereos.

“We’re trying to find different ways to approach educating people on campus to get the number of thefts to decrease,” said Dolores Stafford, director of UPD.

UPD officers also will distribute home security check lists to students in residence halls that offer tips to avoid becoming a victim of theft.

-Meredith Grossman

GW Votes completes D.C. registration drive

Voter registration closes Monday in the District, leaving GW Votes, the student-led voter registration campaign, 30 days until the polls open.

GW Votes has registered about 600 GW students to vote in the Nov. 3 midterm elections after the group extended its campus deadline from Saturday to the District’s Monday deadline.

Since GW Votes began its campaign in September with a rally that registered more than 500 students, its recruiters have campaigned door to door.

GW Votes Director Adam Siple said the response from students is unprecedented.

The midterm elections pose several choices for student voters, ranging from the mayoral race to the Advisory Neighborhood Commission election.

Siple said GW Votes will concentrate on educating registered students about the election process and candidates.

Siple said GW Votes wants students to be aware of the GW-affiliated candidates, but emphasized GW Votes is a non-partisan group.

“We want students to know about all the candidates,” he said.

Siple said at least three of the ANC single-member districts almost are entirely within GW’s campus. But the goal of GW Votes is for students to vote in the best interest of their community, not just in favor of the University, he said.

-Anaklara Hering