GW loses, ties in A-10 matches

The GW men’s soccer team went on the road this weekend to face Atlantic 10 competition and came out of the trip with a draw and a loss.

At La Salle Sunday, the Colonials managed a 2-2 tie after falling to Fordham 1-0 in overtime Friday.

After defeating Howard University in the season opener, GW (1-8-2, 0-1-2 A-10) hasn’t won in its last 10 games.

The Colonials’ next match is at home against Massachusetts Friday at 3 p.m. GW defeated the Minutemen 2-1 last year when UMass was ranked 22nd in the nation.

GW 2, La Salle 2

GW and La Salle traded leads on a cold, rainy Sunday before the match ended in a draw at two goals apiece.

Colonial senior Ben Hatton, a Liverpool, England native, was in his element, taking advantage of the dreary conditions by scoring both GW goals.

Hatton scored the final equalizer in the 68th minute on an assist from freshman defender Ted Tucker, his first career point. Hatton also netted the opening goal of the match, scoring unassisted in the 34th minute.

The Explorers’ first goal came off the foot of Nick Zegestowsky to produce the first tie at 1-1 in the 39th minute. La Salle (2-6-1, 1-1-1) went ahead 2-1 when Steve Tarrant scored in the 48th minute.

Colonial goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich recorded two saves to earn his second tie of the season. The Explorers outshot GW, 19-16.

Fordham 1, GW 0

GW and Fordham played a scoreless draw during 90 minutes of regulation Friday, but the Rams scored on their first opportunity in overtime to defeat the Colonials, 1-0.

Todd Vieira’s header into the back of the net off a crossing pass from Harris Tsangaris three minutes into overtime handed GW its first A-10 loss.

Colonial goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich stonewalled the Rams (6-3-1, 2-0) in regulation play, recording eight saves. But 90 perfect minutes wasn’t enough as Jelencovich lost his bid for the shutout in overtime when Vieira caught him out of position for the goal.

GW had its opportunities – nine shots on goal and six corner kicks. Hatton blasted a shot that came inches from giving GW the victory late in the second half as his shot ricocheted off the post. Freshman Jason Holloway gathered the rebound, but his shot was thwarted by Fordham goalkeeper Jim Grandinetti.