Aerosmith shows its staying power with 12th album

The wonders never cease when talking about the band Aerosmith. With all band members well into their 40s, Aerosmith still is rocking as hard as it did 20 years ago.

Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford revealed the secret behind the band’s incredible staying power in a telephone interview Sept. 25.

“It’s a burning desire,” he simply said.

Aerosmith is in the midst of a worldwide tour for its newest album, Nine Lives . Whitford said the tour is going well despite the late spring and mid-summer mishaps – a freak gas station fire that burned drummer Joey Kramer and lead singer Steven Tyler’s knee injury.

“Joey is totally recovered, and Steven’s knee is good as well, although he still has to wear a brace and go to physical therapy,” Whitford said.

Aerosmith has had a long history and it continues to unfold. The band’s 12th studio album, Nine Lives, went double platinum in the United States. At the MTV Music Video Awards in early September, Aerosmith won Best Video from a Film for “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” from the summer movie Armageddon.

“It’s nice to be recognized for your work,” Whitford said.

In a fickle and ever-changing music world, the longevity of Aerosmith is admirable.

“Things come up that destroy other bands, but we have found ways through it,” Whitford said. “We are a determined bunch of guys, we are more than best friends, we are family.”

Music trends have changed significantly since the early 1970s when the band formed. Many Aerosmith fans today were not old enough to listen when the band first started playing small clubs in and around Boston.

“The band tries to write good music, to satisfy ourselves musically, and it has translated to the fans, expanding the audience,” Whitford said.

Aerosmith is passionate about what it does. The band uses its intensity and emotion to stay current and continue to entice new listeners as well as entertain old fans.

“We have seen trends come and go,” Whitford said. “Rather than change with the trends we stayed true to our hearts. People like in music a sense of things staying the same, a secure, safe thing like a museum or a monument – something people can always come back to and it will still be great time after time.”