Sports briefs

Women’s basketball faces tough schedule

The GW women’s basketball schedule for 1998-’99 was released Sept. 24.

The Colonial women may face as many as 11 teams that made the postseason last year. GW will play six or possibly seven NCAA Tournament teams, including the University of Arkansas and North Carolina State University, both Final Four squads.

The University of Florida, which made the Sweet 16, and Vanderbilt, another Southeastern Conference power also are on GW’s non-conference schedule. Atlantic 10 foes Massachusetts and Virginia Tech also made the tournament last season, and GW may face Howard University in the second round of the Seton Hall University Tournament.

GW also will face St. Joseph’s and Xavier in the A-10 as well as cross-town rival American, all of which made the Women’s National Invitational Tournament last year. GW will play WNIT participant Bowling Green University in the first round of the Seton Hall Tournament.

The Colonial women return all 13 players from the 1997-’98 team, which compiled a 20-10 record. GW enters the season ranked in the top 10 in two preseason polls and looks to improve on last year’s second-round loss in the NCAA Tournament.

-Rich Murphy

Mojska named A-10 Rookie of the Week

Junior volleyball player Gabriela Mojska was named Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week last week.

In two GW women’s volleyball wins last week, Mojska had a .361 hitting percentage, averaged 2.67 kills per game and recorded 20 digs.

Against Fordham Wednesday at the Smith Center, Mojska tallied 11 kills and 18 digs in a three-game sweep of the Rams. In another sweep at St. Bonaventure, she turned in an errorless hitting performance.

Mojska, a transfer from San Bernadino Valley College, is in her first season at GW.

-Rich Murphy