Schwartz addresses Foggy Bottom issues

Republican D.C. mayoral candidate Carol Schwartz addressed Foggy Bottom residents’ concerns about GW’s plans to expand into the neighborhood at a Foggy Bottom Association meeting Monday.

Residents said they are most concerned about the proposed construction of a new GW Hospital across the street from the existing 23rd Street facility.

“It’s a matter of the University administration aiming at taking over the neighborhood,” said Charles Farbstein, a 20-year resident of Foggy Bottom.

“I’m not sold on the idea that there is a need for (a new hospital site),” said Jim McLeod, another member of the FBA. “Furthermore, if (GW administrators) get the new hospital site, what happens to the old building?”

Schwartz would not say whether she would support GW expansion.

“I cannot make that promise,” Schwartz said. “I will use the auspices of my office to try to work out resolutions to this problem.”

Schwartz said the University could submit a plan to the FBA and the mayor’s office regarding a long-term expansion in the Foggy Bottom area.

“The University has done nothing to come up with a revised campus plan,” Farbstein said.

The residents also said they are concerned about debris from the construction site at the GW Inn on New Hampshire Avenue.

Debbie Fabrizio, general manager of the GW Inn, said the construction company has hired a full-time cleanup crew to correct the problem.

Schwartz also spoke to members of the FBA about the Nov. 3 mayoral election, in which she will oppose Democratic candidate Anthony Williams. In her speech, Schwartz said she will better serve D.C. residents because she has lived in the city for 33 years and has served on the D.C. Council.

Schwartz said she will work to control rising rents, which is a worry of residents throughout the District. Many of the residents of Foggy Bottom are either senior citizens or students, both of whom live on fixed incomes, she said.

Jeff Marootian, vice president for community affairs for the Student Association, also announced the creation of a program called “United Foggy Bottom.” The program is designed to encourage GW volunteers to perform household chores for Foggy Bottom residents.