Open market – Staff editorial

Imagine the day when students can walk into the GW Bookstore and not be shocked by the prices they must pay for textbooks, supplies and GW merchandise. If Sen. Lauch Faircloth (R-N.C.) gets his way, college campuses across the country will be forced to end monopolistic business practices that restrict students’ buying options. How can any student not support such an initiative after the Bookstore’s strong-arm tactics this semester?

Faircloth’s bill, introduced in the Senate earlier this week, would deny federal funds to any college or university that does not open the campus to free-market competition. He argues that the lack of any real business competition on the nation’s campuses increases the cost of attending college. Each semester, students fork over hundreds of dollars for essential books. Faircloth’s bill would allow bookstores other than the one “officially” used by the college to compete for students’ dollars. The logic behind the bill is that more competing bookstores will mean better prices – a benefit to student consumers.

Whether Faircloth’s bill will actually reduce textbook prices is unknown – in general, prices are determined by book publishers, not individual bookstores. However, in GW’s case, competition may increase the availability of GW merchandise around the country. GW parents could buy a GW sweatshirt at locations throughout the country. The consumer would benefit from lower prices spawned by competition, and the University would benefit from greater exposure. The bill should be passed into law; it certainly cannot make things any worse.