GW routs Bonnies for third A-10 win

The GW women’s volleyball team beat St. Bonaventure Friday night at the Rielly Center, dominating the Bonnies in a three-game sweep.

The Colonial women (8-4, 3-1) won their third consecutive Atlantic 10 conference match and completed their second straight sweep.

GW took its momentum into the match and steamrolled the Bonnies in a one-hour match, winning 15-2, 15-3 and 15-5. GW head coach Susie Homan called it an easier match than the ones the team played last weekend and commended her team’s work ethic.

“We made the week easy because we played hard,” Homan said. “We just dominated the match.”

Sophomore Julie Jahnke contributed a match-high six kills in only eight attempts. Her .625 attack percentage was a result of her recent strong play in practice and in matches, Homan said.

“She’s made some good changes in her practice,” Homan said.

Sophomores Jill Levey and Suzana Manole had 16 and 13 assists respectively. Junior Gabriela Mojska went error-free and pounded five of the team’s 32 total kills. Mojska, who registered a hitting percentage of .417, is just one of several Colonial women who Homan said has stepped up recently.

“Our attack percentage has been lower than we wanted it to be,” Homan said. GW recorded its highest team hitting percentage of the season with a .314 mark. Seven of St. Bonaventure’s 10 players had negative attack percentages as the Bonnies hurt themselves with 28 errors.

Friday’s match continued the momentum Homan stressed at the beginning of the season. GW’s strong play of late will be tested this weekend when rivals Massachusetts and Rhode Island come to the Smith Center. UMass comes in Friday night at 7:30 p.m. while URI visits Saturday night at 5 p.m.

Homan said that capitalizing on home-court advantage will be a key to GW’s success this season and winning both matches this weekend could put the Colonial women atop the A-10 conference.

“There is so much tradition there,” Homan said of this weekend’s opponents. “The matches this weekend are critical.”