GW men’s soccer ties Hokies, stops winless streak at seven

GW opened Atlantic 10 Conference play in thrilling fashion with a 1-1 draw after 120 minutes of nail-biting soccer at Virginia Tech.

soccer

At the end of four periods of play – two 45-minute halves and two 15-minute overtime periods – the score was deadlocked at one goal apiece.

Colonial goalkeeper Michael Jelencovich weathered a storm of Hokie scoring attempts, tallying 11 saves to help end GW’s seven-game losing streak at Tech Soccer Field in Blacksburg, Va.

Down 1-0, GW found a way to claw back in the second half. The formula included stingy goalkeeping by Jelencovich and an Evan Nierman goal on a direct kick at the 55:14 mark.

Nierman, who has a career-high three goals, now shares the team lead for goals this season with freshman forward Jason Holloway.

The final 34 minutes of regulation play and two subsequent 15-minute overtime periods proved fruitless for each squad. The tie was the first for both teams, giving GW a 1-7-1 season mark and Virginia Tech a 3-5-1 record.

Virginia Tech got on the board first at the 13:01 mark when senior Matt Whalen received a pass from senior Stanislav Licul and beat Jelencovich from the right side of the box.

GW’s next game is at Fordham Friday at 3 p.m. The Colonials defeated the Rams 8-3 last season.