GW beats Hokies to win A-10 Conference opener

The GW women’s soccer team defeated Virginia Tech 1-0 in its first Atlantic 10 match of the season Friday at Tech Soccer Field.

The lone goal in the game came in the second half, when GW senior Jane Lea scored from 35 yards out on an assist by sophomore Lauren Papalia at the 72:56 mark. GW head coach Michele Rodriguez-Smith said Papalia was in the midfield when she started the scoring play for the Colonial women.

“She drew a few defenders and opened up the field for Lea, who was able to pop the ball over the keeper’s head,” Rodriguez-Smith said.

The win was the second straight for the Colonial women (2-6, 1-0 A-10), after six losses to start the season. It also was the season’s first shutout for GW.

“We are playing really well and we had a lot of confidence after our win earlier in the week against Arizona,” Rodriguez-Smith said. “The team is coming together now.”

Junior Rima Sidhu defended the GW net for the duration of the match after splitting time in previous matches. She made 12

saves in earning her first collegiate shutout. Virginia Tech goalkeeper Shannon Janko notched seven saves. The Hokies (3-4-1, 0-1 A-10) out-shot the Colonial women 12-8.

“We were ready to play a good team,” Rodriguez-Smith said. “Tech had played good teams earlier in the week and we were ready.”

The Colonial women’s next match is against Washington State at 11 a.m. Monday at South Riding Field. GW’s next A-10 match is Friday at home against Fordham.

“We feel really good about this A-10 win, despite the low score,” Rodriguez-Smith said. “I think we will just get better in the A-10 games.”