Student allegedly raped in residence hall

A GW student allegedly was raped by an acquaintance in her residence hall room Sunday evening, University Police Director Dolores Stafford said.

To protect the victim and the investigation, details of the incident were not released, Stafford said. She said the student allowed the suspect into her room because she had met him earlier in the evening.

“It was a very brief acquaintance,” Stafford said. “It’s in my best interest and the University’s best interest to maintain this female’s confidentiality.”

The victim was able to provide a description and the first name of the alleged assailant, Stafford said.

Stafford said she did not know whether the suspect was a student, but she said the victim may have believed he was a student. Drug or alcohol use was not a factor in the incident, she said.

“If a student doesn’t really know a person, I strongly recommend that they not put themselves in a position where they are alone with that person,” Stafford said.

The victim was assisted by a member of the University’s sexual assault crisis consultation team, Stafford said. The crisis team consists of 14 employees from different divisions of the University, one of whom is on call 24 hours a day. The team offers information on legal processes, medical assistance and judicial issues to sexual assault victims, Stafford said.

“All the information we give them allows them to make the right choice for themselves, and that’s our goal,” she said. “During that incident, you lose the most personal power you have over yourself. Our goal is to empower the student.”

The University is investigating the incident with the assistance of the Metropolitan Police Department, but the victim has not pressed criminal charges, Stafford said.