Colonials finish 19th at Yale Fall tournament

When freshmen are an important part of a team’s starting lineup, the results usually aren’t going to be positive immediately, no matter how talented the freshmen.

The GW golf team discovered that at the Yale Fall Intercollegiate held at the par-70 Yale University Golf Course in New Haven, Conn., Sept. 19-20. Four of the Colonials’ five starters at the event were freshmen, and GW finished 19th out of 23 teams.

Despite the team’s low finish, GW head coach Scott Allen still found positives to take from the tournament. The team’s four newcomers – Bryan and Tim Derdenger, Tim Blankvoort and Bobby Barnett – got their first experience with collegiate tournament play.

“They all hit good shots, but couldn’t capitalize on the green with good putting and chipping,” Allen said.

Allen’s decision to start the four freshmen, along with senior co-captain Dan Pereyo, was based on Allen’s current philosophy to play whoever is hot at the time of the tournament. This competition between the returnees and freshmen for starting spots eventually could help the team’s success, Allen said.

The Colonials placed 19th at the Yale tournament with an overall score of 953 (113-over). First place went to Mississippi State University, which finished with an overall score of 871 (31-over). Mississippi State was followed by Rhode Island at 884 (44-over).

Bryan Derdenger, who shot a 238 over the three rounds of the tournament, had the lowest total score for GW. He finished tied for 74th out of the field of 118 players. He also shot GW’s lowest single round score, a 75.

Pereyo shot the Colonials highest score, finishing with a 244. However, Allen said Pereyo showed his experience by playing his best in the third and final round in which he shot a 77. Blankvoort, Tim Derdenger and Barnett shot scores of 240, 242, and 242 respectively.

“We were a very mediocre team in a real strong field,” Allen said.