News briefs

GW Korean group reaches out to community

GW’s Korean American Student Association will organize a mentorship program and U.S. citizenship drive this fall.

The mentoring and tutoring program pairs up about 20 Korean-American high schoolers with members of KASA and the Korean-American Alliance, a Korean interest group.

“What we want to do is develop a personal relationship with the (high school) students and give them an idea of what college life is like,” KASA President Joe Gim said.

Gim said the college application process often is a lot more difficult for Korean high school students because many of their parents are immigrants. The program assigns students one peer mentor and one professional mentor.

Four information sessions will be held once a month with high schoolers.

In addition to the mentorship program, the KASA will hold a citizenship drive Oct. 17 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. at supermarkets in Virginia.

Students who sign up for the drive will be trained by an immigration lawyer on how to give legal Korean residents of the United States information about gaining citizenship. Ten students have signed up for the drive so far.

Students who want to participate in either of these programs can contact Joe Gim or go to the KASA home page.

-Kathryn Maese

GW Forum accepting essays

The GW Forum is accepting submissions for its fall edition.

Students, faculty members and staff members are invited to submit personal essays of 1,000 words on the journal’s theme, “turning points.”

“A turning point is a new life, a new avocation, a new direction,” according to a GW Forum press release. “Sometimes it means starting all over again.”

The deadline for submissions to the fall edition is Oct. 16. Essays should be sent to Debra Bruno in GW’s English department, Rome Hall room 764. Questions can be e-mailed to Bruno.

-Becky Neilson

B.F. Goodrich honors GW engineering student

Senior engineering student Brad Montague won a B.F. Goodrich Inventor’s prize for his all-terrain vehicle suspension design.

Montague was honored with a $3,000 cash award Friday at the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.

Montague’s Virtual Roll (VR) Suspension/Drive “greatly improves stability and performance and still maintains its durability and efficient use of space,” according to a University press release.

The patent-pending design is a rear-based system and can be used in several kinds of all-terrain vehicles, including military vehicles, recreational ATVs and industrial equipment.

“The most important function of an off-road suspension system is to keep the tires in contact with the ground, while maximizing stability,” Montague said in the release. “Other suspension designs could offer improved stability, but at the expense of reduced ground clearance. “Further, these designs are more complex and require packaging that is more vulnerable to collision with ground debris and mud drag effects.”

Montague’s adviser, Roger Kaufman, called the design “revolutionary.” Kaufman also was honored at Friday’s ceremony and received a $1,000 cash award.

-Becky Neilson

GW appoints expert to head telecommunications program

GW has appointed Joseph Pelton to head the master of science accelerated degree program with concentration in telecommunications and computers, which is offered by the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

“Dr. Pelton’s leadership background and the breadth of his telecommunications expertise make him well-suited to direct this fast-paced and cutting-edge degree program,” said GW Virginia Campus Executive Dean Irwin Price in a University press release.

The 16-month weekend degree program based at GW’s Virginia campus in Ashburn is designed for working professionals.

Pelton, a Pulitzer Prize nominee, has published 16 books and more than 300 articles on satellites and telecommunications.

Pelton said he looks forward to working with “nationally known GW faculty and staff, and top industry adjunct professors,” according to the press release.

Pelton is a member of the College of Teachers at the International Space University of Strasbourg, France, a professor of telecommunications at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and heads a panel of satellite telecommunications experts for NASA and the National Science Foundation.

-Kathryn Maese

GW to host National Heritage Fellowships concert

GW’s Lisner Auditorium will host a concert Oct. 8 in celebration of the 1998 the National Heritage Fellowships winners.

First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton and National Endowment for Arts Chairman Bill Ivey will present this year’s Heritage Fellowships to 15 master artists in a White House ceremony Oct. 6.

The awards are presented annually to artists who have excelled as artists, teachers and innovators, according to an NEA press release.

This year’s winners are the Apsara Dancers, Eddie Blazonczyk, Bruce Caesar, Dale Calhoun, Tony de la Rosa, the Epstein Brothers, Sophie George, Nadjeschda Overgaard, Harilaos Papapostolou, Pops Staples and Claude Williams.

Tickets to the concert, which will begin at 7:30 p.m., are free and are available at the Marvin Center newsstand. Tickets also are available at TICKETplace in the Old Post Office Pavillion, House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park and the National Council for the Traditional Arts.

-Becky Neilson

International Student Society promotes diversity at GW

The International Student Society held its annual fall party Thursday in a continuing effort to promote ethnic diversity and cultural interaction among GW students.

The group provided free pizza, dessert and beverages to students in the park next to DJ’s Fast Break on G Street. But members said the event was only a means to a greater end.

“We had (the social gathering) so international students can have a place to meet and talk,” said Anna Zichterman, ISS social activities director.

International students who attended the gathering emphasized that the meetings help them assimilate into their foreign surroundings.

“Sometimes it is hard being an international student in the states,” said Junko Yabe, a student from Japan. “This is a diverse school, but it is not really integrated.”

The ISS social event offers students like Yabe the chance to “share problems and understand the situation of others,” she said.

The ISS also plans to hold events to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Turkish independence in October, as well as honor South Asian holidays in November.

-Shruti Dat?