GW earns first win in its seventh try

Good things come to those who wait.

But the GW women’s soccer team would have preferred not to wait seven games for its first victory of the season.

GW finished in third place at the James Madison University Tournament in Harrisonburg, Va., this weekend after losing to JMU and beating the University of Arizona.

The Colonial women (1-6) ended their six-game slide to open the season by scoring two goals in a game for the first time since its season-opening loss to the University of Virginia.

Sophomore Lauren Papalia and seniors Jane Anderson and Jane Lea were named to the all-tournament team for GW.

GW opens Atlantic 10 play Friday with a game at Virginia Tech.

GW 2, Arizona 1

GW won its first game of the season Sunday by beating the University of Arizona 2-1 in the consolation game of the JMU Tournament.

Papalia scored the winning goal for GW in the 85th minute. Freshman Keisha Christoph passed the ball to Lea, who then crossed it to Papalia from the end line. Papalia netted the goal from 12 yards away to break a 1-1 tie.

GW got on the board first in the 25th minute when freshman Courtney Wright scored from six yards out on a pass from Anderson.

Arizona (1-4-1) tied the game in the 39th minute when Brooke McManus scored on an assist from Nikki Jones.

GW and Arizona both had 17 shots on goal. Junior Rima Sidhu and freshman Shannon Ashfield split time in goal for the Colonial women in one of their strongest performances. Sidhu notched three saves in the first half while Ashfield made seven saves in the second half. Inger Airheart defended the goal for Arizona and had six saves.

James Madison 2, GW 1

GW suffered its sixth straight loss to start the season, falling to James Madison 2-1 in the first game of the JMU Tournament Friday.

James Madison (3-2) got on the board first when Lisa Cioffi turned a loose ball into a goal in the 12th minute. Jodi Jacoby scored from 20 yards out off of an assist by Lauren Stritzl in the 29th minute to give the Lady Dukes a 2-0 lead.

GW converted a scoring opportunity early in the second half. Papalia found the back of the net in the 48th minute after a corner kick by Lea. James Madison goalie Beth Manghi let the corner get away from her and Papalia took the shot after a scramble in front of the goal.

The Colonial women were outshot by James Madison 23-11. Sidhu and Ashfield split time defending the goal, with Sidhu making four saves and Ashfield making two saves.

The Colonial women were shut out in the first half for the fourth straight time in the loss.