Water polo notches three more victories

The GW men’s water polo team posted three more wins and one loss last weekend at the Princeton Invitational Tournament and improved its record to 6-2 on the season.

The Colonials lost to the U.S. Naval Academy in their first game Saturday but fought back to notch three straight victories over Bucknell and Salem-Teikyo universities and the University of Richmond.

Navy controlled the Colonials’ first match of the tournament, surrendering just one goal to GW in the first half. The Colonials were led by newcomers Josh Gimpelson and Chris Ansevin with two goals each and 11 saves by goalkeeper Tony Paster, but it wasn’t enough as GW lost 15-4.

Later Saturday afternoon, GW bounced back with an overtime victory over Bucknell. After playing to a 4-4 tie in regulation, the Colonials pulled away in overtime with four goals to win 8-6. Senior Brandon Stout emerged as the star for GW, recording four goals, one assist, and two steals.

In addition to Stout’s offense, the Colonials were led by solid defensive play from Bill Blackburn and Jeremy Yamamoto, who combined for eight steals.

GW hit the water again early Sunday morning and cruised to a 12-6 victory over Salem-Teikyo. The Colonials led 6-2 through one half but scored five unanswered goals in the third quarter to take control of the game.

Paster played another solid game in the net with 11 saves and was supported by solid offensive play. Leading the scoring for the Colonials was Ansevin with four goals and one assist, while Rush Taylor and Kevin Norman each had three goals and one assist.

GW finished off the tournament Sunday afternoon by beating Richmond for the second time this season, 6-5. The Colonials were led once again by solid defensive play from Yamamoto, who recorded seven steals. Taylor scored two goals and added two assists for GW, while Gimpelson had a goal, an assist and three steals.

The Colonials will have this weekend off but will spend next week preparing for the first round of Collegiate Water Polo Association play, which takes place at Johns Hopkins University Sept. 26. The outcome of those games, along with round two Oct. 10-11, will determine the Colonials’ seed for the CWPA Southern Championships at the end of the season.