Two GW a cappella groups ready to perform

The sound of music is filling the air as GW’s two a cappella groups prepare for their fall concert.

“The more singing around the school, the better,” said Katherine Fischkoff, co-director of the Pitches, the all-women’s group.

“We don’t sing classical, jazzy stuff,” Fischkoff said. “We sing contemporary fun songs that you hear on the radio.”

The Pitches’ lineup for the fall concert is a diverse selection of pop music ranging from Bon Jovi’s “Living On A Prayer” to Sarah McLachlan’s “Sweet Surrender.”

“This campus has no soul,” said Josh Rubin, a member of the Troubadours, GW’s co-ed a cappella group. “The Troubadours give the school some of the personality it needs.”

Mirroring the Pitches’ choice in music, Troubadours President Chad Lazar said the group’s goal is to entertain students.

“We’re trying to do contemporary stuff that students can relate to,” he said.

“Our goal, first and foremost, is to get a real campus following, along with the Pitches,” Rubin said.

The Troubadours plan to host two “a cappella jams” or “a cappaloozas,” Lazar said. The events would unite a cappella groups from several schools in the D.C. area for a series of concerts.

“One of the most exciting things is that we get to tour.” Rubin said.

In the past, the Troubadours have performed at the French embassy and at many other colleges and universities. During the Christmas season, the group performs at Vice President Al Gore’s holiday party.

The Pitches have sung to college audiences as well and are making plans for the future. Priscilla Mayersak, president of the Pitches, said the group hopes to attend a women’s a cappella retreat at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania. Mayersak said the retreat is like a “Lilith Fair for a cappella.” The Pitches hope to produce a CD as well, she said.

Recently, the Pitches added three new members to their returning eleven. The Troubadours also have expanded their group by three for a total of 15.

“We get along well,” Mayersak said of the Pitches. “We have to in order for the group to be successful.”

The Troubadours and the Pitches are not rivals – they are friends.

“The greatest success the Troubadours can have is if more a cappella groups form,” Rubin said.

Rubin said his attitude toward a cappella is indicative of the enthusiasm shared by all a cappella members.

The Pitches’ fall concert is Oct. 23 and the Troubadours’ fall concert is Oct. 16. Both events will be at the Marvin Center’s Betts Theatre.