Program Board outlines multicultural vision for campus

The Multicultural Student Society outlined its future at the first meeting of the semester Wednesday.

Ni-Cheng Liang, Program Board multicultural affairs chair, said the group’s goal is to establish a strong core of members “dedicated to bringing the University together through diversity.”

The MSS’ plans include a blood and bone marrow drive, a dinner for the homeless and Unity Week in early March, which will focus on affirmative action, equal opportunity and cultural stereotypes.

The MSS, a subdivision of PB, also may co-sponsor projects with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Alliance and participate in Women’s History Month.

Liang said one reason MSS has not been well-known on campus is because it has been “overshadowed by the International Cultural Affairs Committee,” a part of PB that is comprised of international students.

Freshman Alexandra Brenner said the MSS should become more involved in the D.C. school system by organizing programs on multicultural tolerance in area grammar and high schools.

“When I came down for orientation this (group) caught my eye,” Brenner said. “I’ve always wanted to help maintain multicultural diversity.”

The MSS will hold bi-weekly meetings in the fourth floor lobby of the Marvin Center. The next meeting will be Sept. 23 at 7 p.m.

-Sara E. Murphy