News Briefs

J Street breakfast bar gets high marks

The opening of Dawn’s Best Breakfast Bar received strong support from GW students last week.

Dawn’s replaced the Chinese food station, Passport Caf?, and offers such items as pancakes, waffles, and eggs as well as a variety of breakfast pastries, breads and cereal. The new station is open until midnight.

Chris Voss, chair of the Student Association’s Dining Services Commission, said a survey of student preferences conducted last year showed positive response to the idea of a breakfast bar. The Passport Caf? had not been doing well, and students wanted something different, Voss said. “So far, the response has been fairly good,” he said.

“It’s nice to get breakfast anytime, as opposed to specific meal times,” sophomore Mike Powell said. “Also, the quality is better.”

“There is a better variety of food,” sophomore Kay Turner said. “The food is fresher because they cook it all of the time.”

The new hours also are a plus, Turner said. “Sometimes, you want breakfast at midnight.”

“It seems surprising that they didn’t have one before,” graduate student Jim Warlick said.

Originally, Dawn’s was slated to stay open until 2:00 a.m.

“Currently there are no plans to keep it open until 2:00 a.m.,” Voss said, citing cost as the major factor.

-Preethy Kolinjivadi

GW hires director of public affairs

Barbara Porter came on board earlier this month as the University’s new director of public affairs.

Porter, a West Virginia University graduate and a broadcaster for more than twenty years, joins GW after working for NBC radio.

Sandy Holland, executive director of University Relations, said she feels Porter brings “exceptional qualifications as a journalist and as a manager.”

Holland said she is confident Porter will build on the positive visibility Mike Freedman, who occupied the position before Porter, “worked so hard to establish” for GW.

Freedman left the University this summer to pursue a career at CBS Radio.

Porter, who began her work with University Relations Tuesday, said she is eager to continue the tradition of having GW host programs like CNN’s “Crossfire.”

She said she plans to increase recognition of the University through high-speed communication technology like the Internet.

“I am thrilled to be at a university I feel so very strongly about,” she said. “I really wanted to go to GW.”

-Sara E. Murphy

GW student robbed in Columbia Plaza apartment complex

A GW junior reported a robbery in her Columbia Plaza apartment at 2301 E St. Sept. 5.

The student told the Metropolitan Police Department she locked the door knob but did not lock the deadbolt to her apartment in the A building when she left at 2:15 p.m.

She returned at 3:45 p.m. to find the door to her apartment open and about $2,500 worth of valuables stolen. Her two female roommates were out of town when the incident occurred.

The student said her watch, bracelet, earrings and a ring were taken from her dresser top. A necklace was thrown on the floor. A discman and a walkman also were stolen from the two-bedroom apartment, although the student’s IBM Thinkpad was not taken.

MPD officers took fingerprints at the scene, the student said, but they were unable to determine if the burglar accessed the apartment through forced entry or if the person had a key to the apartment.

The victim, her two roommates and the Columbia Plaza management are the only key holders, the victim said. In response to the burglary, the locks on the door were changed, she said.

-Meredith Grossman

Population growth and environmental issues to be discussed

The Renewable Natural Resources Foundation will convene in the Marvin Center from Sept. 16-19 to address the impact of population growth on the environment.

The presentation is entitled “Human Population: Impacts on the Sustainability of Renewable Natural Resources.”

The RNRF congress will discuss the topics of “biological, social and economic dimensions of environmental problems and policies presented by population growth and consumption of natural resources,” according to a press release.

The keynote address will be delivered by U.S. Sen. Dale Bumpers (D-Ark.).

The goal of the congress is to provide an interdisciplinary forum to explore future impacts and implications of human population expansion and increased land, water, food, fiber, forests and wildlife consumption and other renewable natural resources, according to a statement.

The RNRF is a nonprofit foundation that is part of a consortium of 16 scientific, professional and educational organizations.

-Kathryn Maese

Hillel offers religious holiday services

GW Hillel, the foundation for Jewish campus life, will provide services to students for the upcoming holidays.

Conservative Rosh Hashanah services will be offered Sept. 20-22 in the Marvin Center Ballroom. Reform services for the holiday will be held in Lisner Auditorium Sept. 20-21.

The Marvin Center Ballroom also will host Yom Kippur conservative services Sept. 29-30. Reform services will be held the same days in Lisner Auditorium.

A meditation and reflection session hosted by Rabbi Lew Solomon, a GW Law School professor, also will be held in the Hillel Auditorium during the holidays.

All services are free to students, but tickets are required. For specific service times and tickets please contact Hillel at 994-5090.

-Shruti Dat?