Harriers hope depth leads to strong season

Athletic seasons are long, drawn-out and physically taxing. Down the stretch, a team’s depth is its most valued insurance policy.

Second-year head coach Jim Hopkins said he believes the GW men’s and women’s cross country teams have that insurance policy. Hopkins said he has a balanced blend of experience and youth.

The women’s squad is much stronger than last year in all areas of the sport, Hopkins said. Captain Amanda Roebel had a first-place finish at the Richmond Invitational and a second-place finish at the GW Invitational in 1997. Fellow senior Lisa Faia and sophomore Gail Haggerty, both important parts of last year’s team, should have a big impact again this season. Hopkins stressed the maturity and initiative shown by the veteran Colonial women.

“The girls are leading by example so far, and they take care of their new freshmen,” Hopkins said. Freshman adjustment along with sophomore growth will be keys to the success of both teams, Hopkins said.

“It’s about learning how to compete at a higher level,” he said. “I know (the underclassmen) have the ability to do that.”

Leading the men’s team is senior captain Jeff McCarthy, who was GW’s top finisher in three of its final four meets. GW’s top runner also was named to the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletics of America All-Eastern Team in 1997.

Sophomore Nathan Converse also should be a point-scorer this season for the Colonials, who will welcome Tim Assal and Zak Grunko back to the roster after injuries sidelined them last season.

“The men’s team has to learn how to compete,” Hopkins said. “They’re in great shape, but it’s easy to run hard in practice.”

As with any competing team, the season for both cross country squads is long and taxing.

“We’ve got to be sure not to beat ourselves,” Hopkins said. “It’s about training smart. We’ve got to eat right and sleep right.” And if the team can make the commitment, Hopkins said he believes the results should be remarkably better than last year for both teams. As a whole, this team is more cohesive than before, Hopkins said.

“It’s time to run as a team and not as 30 individuals,” he said.

The season kicks off with the La Salle Invitational in Philadelphia, but its most important meet this fall, like every year, is the Bell Atlantic-Atlantic 10 Championships Sept. 31 in Philadelphia.