GW wins three this weekend

The women’s volleyball team couldn’t have asked for a better weekend.

The Colonial women (5-2) won three matches this weekend and dropped just one of the 10 games they played.

Senior Tai Bethune and sophomores Jill Levey and Renee Arnold earned all-tournament team honors in leading the Colonial women to the Hi-IQ Classic Tournament title at the College of William & Mary Saturday.

GW began the weekend by defeating West Virginia University at home Friday.

GW has won four-straight matches and hosts Georgetown University Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m.

“This is our last surge before the (A-10) conference starts,” GW head coach Susie Homan said. “We’re expecting a battle.”

GW 3, W&M 1

The Colonial women won the Hi-IQ Classic by defeating host William and Mary 3-1 Saturday evening at William & Mary Hall.

GW fell behind in the match early, losing the first game 15-12. The Colonial women were a bit sloppy in the opener, committing 11 errors. Homan said her team’s opponents were athletic and young, but GW’s growing team confidence was evident as the Colonial women bounced back to sweep the Tribe (2-5) in the next three games, 15-13, 15-12 and 15-5.

“Our experience and composure paid off,” Homan said. “The sense in the arena was that we were in control of the match.”

The comeback from the first-game loss was led by Bethune and Levey. Bethune had 14 kills, 12 digs and showed leadership on the court, Homan said. Setter Levey led the team with 28 assists and 18 digs.

“Jill is a very good all-around player in all the skills and facets of the game,” Homan said. Also contributing in strong fashion was fellow sophomore Suzana Manole, who had a triple-double with 12 kills, 19 assists and 28 digs.

GW 3, Penn 0

The Colonial women shut out the University of Pennsylvania 3-0 in the first match of the Hi-IQ Tournament Saturday at William & Mary.

Penn (0-2) hurt itself with 24 errors in 84 attacks, leaving it with a hitting percentage of -.059.

Homan said she felt the victory was a solid one for her team and was pleased the entire team had an opportunity to play and contribute in the win. Sophomore Arnold, usually a substitute off Homan’s bench, made good use of her playing time in earning all-tournament honors.

“Renee had a very good performance against UPenn,” Homan said. “It’s the best overall play I’ve seen from her.” Homan commented specifically on Arnold’s effective serve and outstanding kills. She had seven digs in addition to her .429 attack percentage.

Manole led GW with eight kills in the match to go along with 10 assists and eight digs. Levey chipped in with five kills on seven attacks for an impressive attack percentage of .572 in addition to 15 assists.

GW 3, WVU 0

The Colonial women swept West Virginia 3-0 Friday night at the Smith Center.

Homan said she wanted her team to take advantage of its opponents’ mistakes, and GW did so early in the three-game match. The Colonial women were led early on by an outstanding service game from Levey and aggressive kills from junior Theresa Ridder and Manole. GW broke an early first-game tie at 3-3 and ran off 12 unanswered points to win the game 15-4.

“There is a rhythm we like to get into, and they served into it,” Homan said.

But GW struggled in the second game, falling as far back as 6-1. After a time out and the substitution of Ridder and Devin Cahill into the game when the score was 6-3, GW went on two separate four-point runs and won the second game 15-12. Ridder performed solidly in the game, contributing three kills, while Cahill added two digs. Cahill, usually a defensive specialist, was pleased with the playing time she received.

“I’m happy with my play,” Cahill said. “I knew the task I had to do.”

GW finished off the Mountaineers (3-3) thanks to junior Gabriela Mojska. She had five kills in the third game, including the final point of the match. Overall, Mojska had an impressive .481 attack percentage with a match-high 16 kills.

“I just hit it,” Mojska said of her attacking style. “I find the open space and hit it right there.”