Colonials lose two at ODU Classic

The GW men’s soccer team knew going into the season that it had a tough schedule on paper.

Now, the Colonials are finding out just how good the teams on their schedule are.

GW (1-4) lost both of its matches at the Old Dominion University/Stihl Classic this weekend, its third and fourth straight losses. The offensive woes of the Colonials mounted this weekend as they have scored just one goal in their last three games.

Senior Craig Jones and freshman Jason Holloway were named to the all-tournament team.

William & Mary 4, GW 1

GW fell to 14th-ranked William & Mary, 4-1, at Old Dominion’s home field Sunday.

The Tribe took the lead early with a goal in the 19th minute, but the Colonials answered less than a minute later when Jones netted a penalty kick.

The tie was short-lived. William & Mary’s Brian Hinckley scored the game-winner on a penalty kick in the 24th minute to make the score 2-1. The Tribe’s Luke Bockelman, the tournament’s most valuable player, completed a hat trick in the second half to give his team a cushion.

Although the Colonials managed just three shots in the game, they scored for the first time in three games. William & Mary recorded 16 shots against the GW defense and freshman goalie Nick Parypinski notched seven saves.

Old Dominion 2, GW 0

GW and Old Dominion were scoreless until midway through the second half Friday night when the Monarchs took the lead and held on for a 2-0 victory.

Freshman midfielder Carlos Mendes led ODU (2-0) attack by tallying both scores. His first goal came off an assist by substitute John Wierzbowski in the 70th minute. Mendes then sealed the victory with an unassisted goal in the 88th minute.

The Colonials offense sputtered with only five shots, three of which were saved by Monarch goalie Chuck Connelly. Parypinski recorded four saves for GW.