Colonial crews prepare for series of fall events

Where the Potomac River turns toward the arches of the Key Bridge, the GW men’s and women’s crew teams practice to compete in a timeless sport that has changed little since the first Columbia University crew took to the water in 1903.

Today, the GW crew program, which has existed since 1956, rows out of the Thompson Boat House at the end of Virginia Avenue. This year’s varsity crews consist of 14 men and 27 women. The teams are a mix of recruits and walk-ons, GW head coach Steve Peterson said.

“The majority of the kids are right off the campus,” Peterson said. Most of those walk-ons and freshman recruits go through the novice program, led by Matt Russell (men) and Vicky Carmody (women), before they row on a varsity boat.

At GW, the focus is on boats that contain eight rowers and a coxswain, who steers and directs the boat. Each team fields several boats, and the eight best rowers go into the first varsity boat.

The competitive season is divided between the fall and spring. The fall races are all head or belly races, which are about three miles and last about 15 minutes.

“The fall is a way to figure out where you stand physically and technically, compared to the other crews,” said Erich Shuler, the men’s varsity coach.

After a winter of lifting weights and pulling on ergs – or rowing machines – at the teams’ indoor facility in Building EE, the teams return to racing. All spring races are sprints of 2,000 meters.

To reach their respective national championships in May, the teams must excel in the regular season. The women must earn an invitation to the NCAA Championships. The men’s championship is run by the Intercollegiate Rowing Association, and any team can enter, although only the successful teams usually do.

Last year, the women’s varsity eight boat was invited to the NCAAs and finished 15th of the 16 teams. This year, only three members from that team return, including co-captains Sam Byrd and Erin Moore. Peterson said he doesn’t expect a let-down for the Colonial women, though.

“Our group is really pretty even,” Peterson said. “It will be interesting when we select the top eight rowers. I can’t see why we won’t do as well or better than last year.”

Last year, the men’s team entered the IRAs but did not perform well.

“It was an off year,” Peterson said. “I think they all learned about themselves last year.”

This year, the men are led by Shuler, who is in his first year as a varsity coach, and co-captains Shawn Hoyer and Pat McLaughlin. Shuler said he expects a better season from the Colonials.

“I think they’re going to be strong mentally this year,” Shuler said. “In terms of who the top guys are, it’s really a pretty even group.”

The Colonial crews begin their fall races at the Head of the Potomac Sept. 26. GW will take to the water at about 11:30 a.m.. GW’s spring home schedule is highlighted by the GW Invitational Crew Classic in April.