Campus renovation enters final phase

After eight years of research and almost three years of construction, the mid-campus quad renovation project is expected to enter its last stages by late May, said Al Ingle, GW’s associate vice president for business affairs.

Ingle spoke to students and faculty gathered in Gelman Yard Wednesday evening for a Residence Hall Association cookout and campus beautification project briefing.

Jessica Rosgaard, vice president of RHA, said Ingle was asked to address student complaints about the ongoing renovations.

“We had the idea and went to Mr. Ingle,” Rosgaard said. “He donated a tent and did the logistics setup so that he could give the students the answers they sought.”

RHA President Justin Lavella said Ingle is the best source of information about the campus beautification process.

“Al Ingle can inform students as to what is going on at their home,” Lavella said.

The first two stages of the $3.3 million renovation were completed last year with the opening of Professors’ Gate on 21st Street between G and H streets, and Trustees’ Gate on H Street, neighboring Gelman Library.

The third stage includes the construction of loading docks for Lisner Auditorium and Gelman Library. Ingle said this stage will be complete by December.

The fourth stage includes tearing down Building V to build an outdoor cafe and a space to hold events located between the Hall of Government and Monroe Hall. Relocation of the outdoor classroom in the Rose Garden also is planned.

Landscaping plans include a fountain, a monument, benches and the relocation of the H Street clock.

Michelle Honey, director of architecture, engineering and construction, said she hopes the renovation will create an appropriate image and identity for the campus.

“We want to create somewhat of a European marketplace,” Ingle said, “It will have venues, tents, benches and even a coffee bar.”

The fourth stage will require the H Street gateway to be closed in January and the other two gateways to be closed in May.

Ingle said the University needs students’ cooperation as it works to beautify the campus.

“There will be a lot of inconvenience,” he said. “I don’t think it will be unbearable, we’ll just have to bear it.”

The renovation, which is funded through an endowment, is currently over budget but will be completed on schedule, Ingle said.

“For sure, when you return in August, it will all be complete,” Ingle said.