Policy changes define e-mail harassment

GW students and faculty who use the GW computer network will benefit from an updated University Code of Conduct that will crack down on “cyber harassment,” said Brad Reese, director of the Computer Information and Resource Center (CIRC).

“This code is much more explicit about guiding students and protecting students from unwanted e-mail,” Reese said. “It also tightens privacy protection.”

Reese said the code had not been updated in about six years. The new code, implemented July 15, explicitly defines harassment and how the rules will be enforced.

“We’re bringing the code up-to-date with the new technology,” Reese said. “The new code addresses issues that weren’t necessarily a problem when the old code was created.”

For instance, one of the issues outlawed in the new code is “spamming,” or sending electronic junk mail, Reese said.

The new code was drafted by Reese last spring and was circulated to the Office of the General Counsel, Student Judicial Services and the Office of the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.

The Information Technology Advisory Committee, which consists of students, faculty members and staff members, also approved the code.

“With the new code, students will know what is expected of them but they’ll also know how they’re protected,” Reese said.

-Theresa Crapanzano