Fire Hazard – Staff Editorial

Fires have forced the evacuation of several GW buildings in the past few weeks. Bell Hall and the anthropology department building were evacuated two weeks ago when electrical fires started there, and residents in Munson and Francis Scott Key halls were forced to leave their buildings when kitchen accidents caused fires in residents’ rooms. It is the latter two fires that should cause significant concern for anyone who lives in a residence hall – the smoke detectors failed in both rooms.

It is ironic that students face punishment if they are caught burning incense or candles in their residence hall rooms while University administrators repeatedly pass the buck on responsibility for maintaining campus smoke detectors. Some smoke detectors are broken, others are missing batteries. What happens if a real fire breaks out in a room without a functioning smoke detector, instead of just a burnt oven mitt or smoking toaster? Will a student have to be seriously injured before University administrators take responsibility?

When students sign their housing leases with the University, it is understood that they will be living in a safe environment. By not ensuring every single smoke detector is in working condition, the University is failing to live up to its responsibility.

Children who watch television often see Smokey the Bear admonishing them to pester their parents to check the house’s smoke detectors.

Where’s Smokey? The University needs a lesson.