Greek organizations plan day of outreach

GW’s Greek-letter system will give students a chance to “get their hands dirty” at the system’s first Community Outreach Day Friday, said Tracie Anzaldi, coordinator of Greek affairs and spirit events.

“The main point (of Community Outreach Day) is to provide a connection for students to the community,” she said.

For two hours, volunteers will work at four community service sites. Some students will help clean up the Kenilworth Park, some will spread wood chips and sand at Hearty Recreation Center and Deanwood Day Care Center, and others will prepare soil for planting at Pope Branch Park.

“(The activities) provide hands-on service learning as opposed to philanthropy,” Anzaldi said

At the end of the day, students will reflect on the issues they encountered, according to a University press release. The University’s Office of Community Service and the Board of Chaplains will lead a discussion about the environment, poverty and the role young adults play in their community.

“It’s also a (public relations) thing,” said Anzaldi, the founder of the event.

She said she believes much of the community service that individual chapters participate in goes unnoticed.

“All houses will get a chance to work together for the community,” said Jennifer Pilz, Panhellenic Association president.

More than 300 GW students are expected to participate, most of them fraternity and sorority members.

The Greek-letter community is sponsoring the activities and its members will make up most of the volunteers, but all students are welcome to participate, Anzaldi said.

Other sponsors of the event include the Student Association, the Board of Chaplains, the Western Presbyterian Church, the Office of Community Service and the Diversity Program Clearinghouse.

Food for the day will be donated by GW Dining Services, Au Bon Pain and Chesapeake Bagel Bakery.

Interested students should meet at the Marvin Center Ballroom at 9 a.m. Friday.